Monday, June 8, 2009

another reason to get rid of the car: parking in Brookline

(by Pat)

For some reason (probably at one point, it was to keep out the riff-raff, and now it's probably because people make money renting spaces and can't afford to give up the income) there is no overnight parking on the street in Brookline. This means that you have to have a parking space for your car, and if you don't own one, you need to rent one.

It also means that when your backyard neighbor is having her building repointed and you r car can't stay in its regular spot,you need to move it every morning and every night. That's what's up right now--at 6am, I have to move the car out of our backyard space and find a space on the street, and every night, I need to put the car back. I should say cars, actually, because I have to move our neighbor's car, too, because they're out of town, and it's a pretty intricate puzzle in the little lot behind our house.

We pay $75-$100/month for parking, plus $25/year to be able to park more than 2 hours in front of your own house.

Soon, none of these will be anything I have to deal with. I won't miss it.