Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weekly Tally #7: How I Got Around Last Week

Here's the quick stats for last week:

walking:  14.8 miles
biking:   67.7 miles
car (zipcar): 0 miles
bus:  6 miles

Took the bus to go see Hound of the Baskervilles at the Central Square Theatre with my daughter, Kira (she's not big on biking at night), which worked out great.  Tracy has a new app for her Droid phone that shows exactly where the T buses are on a given route.  (I might be tempted to get a smart phone myself.)

Had to hit the bike shop yesterday, as I broke another spoke on my back wheel.  Three spokes in a month was a sign that it was time to get a new wheel, so I sprung for one yesterday.  $75 for the rim, plus I needed new tubes (this wheel has a presta valve), and new tools in order to install the wheel and change the cassette.  I spent more than the cost of the bike (which was $65 on Craig's List a couple years ago), but it'll be worth it.  It might be nice to ride with a back wheel that's actually round.  Now I need to see if I remember everything that I learned at the bike repair class last winter (seems like a long time ago).