Monday, February 20, 2012

Paete and Panguil Experience

Yesterday, February 19, 2012, I had my very first field trip with my students, which also means my very first field trip not as a student, but as a teacher. Of course I was worried the whole time because I was thinking "what if something bad will happen to one of my students?" though they've signed a waiver, I still can't help being worried. But nonetheless, It was a fun-filled educational trip and thank God nothing bad happened. In fact, it turned the other way around, since because I am the teacher, I felt so secured and overwhelmed for treating me like a "VIP" hehehe. So anyway, Considering the subject I am teaching, which is Humanities, the trip was basically more about art.

Boarding time: 5:30 am
We left the school around 6:15 am. 

Our Bus, courtesy of Outbound Educational tour
First Stop: Paete, Laguna, where my students had a hands-on experience on carving a wood, to make horse-shaped sculpture.


Side note: Paete,  was named after the tool used for carving wood known as the “paet,” the vernacular for chisel. It  is one of the Philippines’ last remaining artistic strongholds in fact, it was declared the “Carving Capital of the Philippines” in 2005. We drove there for almost two hours via the zigzag but scenic road of Eastern Rizal, which our guide calls it the "back door". You can also pass through the long stretch of the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX). I tell you, if you're not in a hurry or if you have an ample of time it's better to pass through the SLEX because the Rizal route is literally "zigzagy". I don't usually get dizzy but because of the road I unfortunately did. Or better yet just take an anti-emetic medicine to prevent nausea and vomiting.


Men at work. Students at work.


ME!

Am I serious or just acting out? what do you think? :)

with my students. :)


Lucille, my co-teacher/friend, I invited her to join the trip, thanks for coming! :)

Made by my student

On the left side is the sample of the finished product. cool, right?

just saw this one walking around.

Ate, who's been working there for 9 years. in this photo, she's varnishing and doing some finishing touches.

The finished product and ready to be delivered sculpture of St.Michael. 

Second stop: At the town center of Paete, where we watched a live ice-making sculpture and where we also experienced making animal sculptures out of paper mache. :)

look, our welcome banner. :)


A big block of ice. Everybody's cheering for kuya. :)

He's making it into a swan ice sculpture. can you see it already?

Here's manang, demonstrating on how to make paper mache animals.

Students having fun.

Sample products. After this, let them dry then paint them with any color/design you like, then you're perfectly done! :)

Picture with my students again before leaving to our next and last stop. :)
Last stop: Panguil Eco Park, where the students(yep, only students because I wasn't ready, hehe!) enjoyed the trekking and water tubing adventure. It is really beautiful there, that I want to go back and hope to experienced those too.



you have to pass through a bridge. don't worry, not scary at all.

another work of art: A man is making a butterfly-shaped decoration out of Cayetana wood.

Bought this from him for only P70. How can a tiny piece of wood be turned into like this? so proud to be a Filipino.

flowers given to me by the bus operators also made of Cayetana wood.

look at the place. so pretty.

I love nature.

co-teachers, kokit and lucille. 

Students enjoying the moment! I was so jealous I wanted to swim. lol!

you can also rent the place, they have a pavilion where you can celebrate/held any special occasion.

bought this really cute bracelet for P200. :)

so thankful for that wonderful experience and will definitely look forward for more fun adventures. :))

Hmmmm. Summer is just around the corner. :))